[RE-wrenches] PID

Steven Lawrence lawrencesteven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 11:56:49 PST 2013

Hi Drake,
There are a few papers that go into PID, including one form SMA (simple
google search).

http://solarenergy.advanced-energy.com/upload/File/White_Papers/ENG-PID-270-01%20web.pdf
http://files.sma.de/dl/7418/PID-PVOBox-TI-en-10.pdf

In short, it mostly depends on the module construction and whether or not
it's installed correctly (like the article said, negatively grounding old
Sunpower modules do not fare well, nor do positively grounded Evergreen
modules).  Be sure to ask your module manufacturer for their information on
PID, but I believe all Tier 1 module manufacturers do not have
any significant PID.  Even if they did, you could argue that it should be
covered under the module performance warranty.

Also, let's not confuse ungrounded PV systems with transformerless
inverters.  The formerly known as Solaron inverters are transformless and
still uses a grounded conductor.  The SMA CP-US inverters are transformless
and can use a solidly grounded conductor.

-Steven Lawrence