[RE-wrenches] Busbar rating with multiple main breakers

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Dec 19 22:48:25 PST 2013

Eric:

Here is another distinction to make:

1.    In PG&E territory, the largest service that is direct metered is 320
amps (continuous).  This may be likely in many other areas.

2.    Above that, the metering is all done with CTs (current transformers).

3.    If you pull a direct meter, you disconnect the feed to the service.

4.    Fire responders and line workers will pull the meter as a foolproof
way to disconnect a service.

5.    If you pull a CT meter, you do not disconnect the service.

6.    If you have a CT service and a grid-interactive system in PG&E
territory (and likely many other utilities) you have to install a locking
disconnect within 10 feet of the service disconnecting means that
disconnects the grid-tie or the entire feeder.

7.    The information above was derived from many sources and should be
verified.

The service you are describing is likely a class 320 direct metered service.
Here is a link to information on a common variety.

http://www.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/gip/general/dlc/data/assets/us/SIILV/Brochure
_400A_Combinations_Siemens.pdf

I hope this information helps (and is not something you already knew).

William