[RE-wrenches] Sick pack

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Dec 19 08:53:58 PST 2013

Bill,

This all sounds very typical of a neglected, deficit charged battery bank. More than likely (speaking from experience) the damage started a few years ago but due to the size of the bank, the customer was able to make 6 years as the sulfation grew.

You can disconnect 1-2 strings and check the open circuit voltage of each battery. If the batteries are taken off charge, you might need to let them rest for a few hours or put a load on them before the test. I assumed you looked at each battery case sides to verify bulging and hardness. Another tell-tale sign is to look very closely at the positive posts: do you notice ANY lifting of ANY of the positive posts on ANY battery? If yes, don't waste your time trying to recover. Instead, spend that time educating the customer on how to make the new bank live 10-14 years. While I have had some success restoring mildly sulfated batteries over the years, I have zero success once the hardness has reached this level.

Most importantly, sell them a battery capacity meter if they don't have one.

The attached pictures shows a Trojan L16 that is only two years old. See the slight lifting of the post reference to the aluminum? The grey case L16 battery is 6 years old and has severe sulfation that started many years ago. Both customers did not know how to charge properly.

Larry