[RE-wrenches] Cycle Life

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Dec 18 15:13:07 PST 2013

Hi Larry;

I agree, that in normal circumstances the battery will only be
discharged daily15 to 25%.  I just completed some system modeling using
HOMER, and actually the battery is cycled to 80% many times a year
(approx. inverter shutdown), unless you have a generator, or load
reduction.  The annual cycles seem to be a combination of light cycling,
and then in cloudy weather deep cycles.
The 80% number is just to be able to do an apples to apples comparison
at the worst case scenario.  It also gives you an idea how a battery
behaves when you need it the most, after several days of cloudy weather,
and when it might not reach full charge again for awhile.  If I can only
look at one cycle life #, I'd prefer the 80% rate than the 10%.
  Here's an interesting study done by Sandia labs that tried to create a
more realistic cycle testing for solar.  It used a combination of light
and heavy cycles.  (Just what you were saying Larry)

http://www.cleanenergy.com.ph/projects/CBRED/TA%20RE%20Manufacturers%20Sub-Contract/Compendium%20of%20References/Solar%20References/Sandia%20Standards/PV%20battery%20cycle%20life%20test.pdf

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,