[RE-wrenches] Heart Interface Idle Draw

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 21:19:48 PST 2013

William;

I don't remember the Heart inverters as having a particularly high idle
current draw. If Dave can find the specs I'd be interested to get them too;
I do still occasionally run into Hearts, almost always still working great.
I think I've only scrapped one since 1994.

28 years on a battery bank? What are they and how are they interconnected?
I'd get 'em gilded and build a shrine....

I'd put my sights squarely on the satellite receiver, provided the big new
TV is on a power strip or switched outlet. Put some simple DAQ
(Kill-o-Watt) on all or both. Some sat receivers are hogs, and the PITA is
that if they are unplugged for a period of time and miss their
non-scheduled program package update, your customer has to call in to the
sat TV company by phone and get the receiver "flashed" with the most recent
info (ie what TV channels they signed up for and have they paid their
bill). Used to be you could call and say "I'm off grid,the receiver has
been unplugged, flash my dish" but now the tech support is in India and
they walk your customer through pages and pages of tech support flipcards
before they'll do it, even though your customer knows *exactly* what the
problem is, as they do this a couple times a month..... Rather irritating
if your customer is on a sat phone that costs $1 per minute of airtime.

(sigh) Keep us all posted

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342