[RE-wrenches] Mike Holt Solar Video - LIVE in your town, limited time only

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 13:14:04 PST 2013

Dick,

It sounds like you are not a big Mike Holt fan. There is no requirement for
that. The language in the 2008 NEC was poor, at best. It was a complete mess
up of a proposal that John Wiles and I was involved with--sounds like you
were involved as well. A member of the CMP13 took the proposal and
essentially destroyed it.

The original proposal was to require an electrode on ground-mounted
structure. The roof-mounted requirement was a complete mistake--and
potentially dangerous in most cases.

My approach is to work with another member of our CMP4 panel to write an
article for the IAEI News and explain what was intended. Since the language
is very ambiguous, that can work in the favor of providing an opinion that
is a safe version of 690.47(D).

Bottom line is that any building that already has a grounding electrode
should not have an additional electrode added.

Bill.