[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 6, Issue 423

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Nov 12 08:51:33 PST 2013

Hi Bill –

If there is a short circuit between two conductors or to ground under the
DC array won’t the fire issue still remain? I understand the arc fault will
stop load from the inverter side but it seems like it does not entirely
solve the problem. Or maybe I’m not fully understanding how AFCI works.

I was on the roof the other day inspecting a 10 year old system installed
right on the coast. The inverter was dead and probably had been dead for
several years. On the roof the DC combiner box had rusted out (NEMA-3
installed at 5:12 pitch!) and there had been a pretty serious fire in the
box. Luckily it didn’t spread to the roof – it was still arcing away when I
busted open the rusted lid. That seems like a workmanship the materials
selection issue to me.

Best,

August

August Goers