[RE-wrenches] PV GEC

Gary Willett Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com
Sat Nov 9 16:51:56 PST 2013

Wallace:

William is correct, a PV System is NOT a SDS.

If you're installing a "TL" or transformerless string inverter, a DC GEC
from the inverter is NOT required, only a properly sized EGC.

With Micro-inverters, if the PV+ or PV- has a ground reference in the
micro-inverter, such as an Enphase M215, then a properly sized combined
EGC/GEC is needed.

Newer micro-inverters, such as the Enphase M250, are internally
transformerless so a combined EGC/GEC is NOT needed, only a properly
sized EGC.

Module and rail bonding requires a bonding device listed for the
purpose, or a racking/module system that has been listed as compliant to
the new UL standard.

You can "upsize" the EGC if desired to reduce its impedance for
lightning and surge protection.

Regards,

Gary Willett
Icarus Solar