[RE-wrenches] Hidden freight damage

Roy Rakobitsch roy at windsine.org
Mon Nov 4 09:01:14 PST 2013

This has happened to me a bunch. In my opinion, it is very important to
unpack all modules and equipment and inspect them before signing for a
delivery. We would have the driver unload modules on skids onto ground (if
he had a lift gate) or onto dock, and cut open module skids, inspect and
take tons of pictures. If everything looked good then sign for delivery
and load modules into shop one by one (by hand). Kinda labor intensive,
but its better than being stuck having to eat thousands of dollars in
damages. Sometimes on damaged module orders, you wouldnt have to refuse
complete delivery, just work with your distributor for reimbursement or
replacement on damaged items (because you took extra care to document all
the damage with pictures).

Roy Rakobitsch
NABCEP Certified Small Wind Installer®
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
NYSERDA eligible Small Wind installer
Certified Advanced Tower Climbing, Safety & Rescue
Wind/PV Design Engineer
Windsine Inc.
631-514-4166
www.windsine.org

On Mon, November 4, 2013 11:47 am, Luke Christy wrote:
> Wrenches,
>
> We have been in business for about 8 years, and up until now, the shipping
> gods have smiled upon me, but apparently my luck has run out, as I've had
> 2 costly shipping nightmares within a month,  and I'm just wondering what
> other Wrenches have done to protect themselves from the liability involved
> in trusting expensive shipments to the freight carriers.  Here's my
> situation:
>
> I recently had a pallet of modules shipped, and it arrived with multiple
> broken modules, due apparently to careless handling,and having had
> something heavy set on top of the pallet.  I have my freight shipments
> sent to a neighboring business which is kind enough to receive them for
> me, since they have many full time staff who are always available during
> business hours to fork shipments off a truck.  In this case the forklift
> driver did not notice the damage (it was not immediately evident), and the
> delivery was signed for.  However, upon picking up the pallet an hour
> later, I  realized that the shipment was damaged, called the freight
> company immediately to notify them of the damage, and subsequently filed a
> detailed written claim.
>
> I just got notice that my claim was denied by the carrier, evidently
> without considering any of the photos or the written explanation I
> submitted with the claim. They simply cited that the shipment had been
> signed for without noting damage.
> It is clear to me that the carrier was responsible for the damage, yet
> apparently because the damage was hidden and the BOL was signed, they can
> leave me holding the bag for a significant amount of money.
>
> This particular incident could have been worse, but it is the first time
> I've had it happen and it certainly makes me worried about future
> deliveries. It suddenly seems like an unacceptable liability to have
> others sign for my deliveries without a thorough inspection.
>
> I asked my distributor whether the shipments have any insurance on them,
> and the person I spoke with didn't know the answer. So my $50 Ebay
> shipment is insured, but my $50,000 worth of equipment isn't? My insurance
> agent says that I can make a claim on my commercial insurance, but advised
> against it in this case, since the loss was only around $1K, and is
> guaranteed to raise my future premiums.
>
> I know that things get damaged or lost all the time in shipment, and I'm
> wondering how other businesses handle it.  Businesses that do larger
> volume must have damaged freight all the time.  Is it just impossible to
> get freight companies to take responsibility for damage that is not
> immediately evident, since they are acting as judge on their own behalf?
> Do you just refuse to sign the bill of lading until you've examined all
> the contents of the packages (this is a logistical nightmare in most
> cases)?  Do you just chalk it up to the cost of doing business and/or make
> claims to your commercial insurance?

> [...]

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in
whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by
not
constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a
contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of
sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for
transfers of data to third parties.