[RE-wrenches] Point of connection question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Oct 9 15:36:52 PDT 2013

HI William;

I think you might have a problem.  Looking at Enphase's ratings, the
M190 has an output rating of 800mA, while the M250 has an output rating
of 1.0 A.  10 M250s = 10 amps, 9 M190s = 7.2 amps
17.2 amps exceeds 80% of your 20 amp breaker.
I know this won't actually happen, but my understanding is that 690.8
(A)(3) dictated how to figure this, and 690.8(B)(1) dictates the 80% of
breaker rating.  So I think code wise, you're out of luck, unless you
have a 100% duty rated breaker and load center.

My thinking is that most inspectors would give you a pass; especially
when you show them the actual current flowing with the smaller modules.
Can you put more modules per inverter, or otherwise drop a couple of
inverters?

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,