[RE-wrenches] transformerless inverters and conductor colors

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Oct 4 11:38:05 PDT 2013

All -

Just a quick follow up to this thread. My understanding is that you can use
black USE-2 or PV Wire under the 2008 and 2011 NEC for all grounded and
ungrounded conductors.

2008 NEC has section 200.6(A)(2) Grounded Conductors which reads (it is
section 200.6(A)(6) in 2001 NEC):

"A single-conductor, sunlight-resistant, outdoor-rated cable used as a
grounded conductor in photovoltaic power systems as permitted by 690.31
shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive white
marking at all terminations"

I wonder if the 2014 NEC has any new rules or clarifications on this. Brian
Mehalic listed a requirement in the 2014 NEC for coloring of ungrounded
wire of 6 AWG or smaller - does it have an exception for USE-2 or PV Wire
or will we need to buy special wire with red marking?

Best, August