[RE-wrenches] transformerless inverters and conductor colors

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 24 07:22:16 PDT 2013

Hi All -

Refer to NEC 690.35 Ungrounded Photovoltaic Power Systems. 690.35(D)
specifies the types of PV source conductors required. For standard 600 V
ungrounded systems it is typical to use PV wire (which may or may not be
double insulated) under the arrays where installed exposed and then
transition to THWN-2 or equivalent once going into a raceway such as EMT.
We have many systems installed this way which are working just fine. It is
true that the ground fault protection is more sensitive on ungrounded
inverters but THWN-2 when installed with good workmanship should be just
fine in raceways. We buy only black PV wire and phase tape at the ends. For
larger arrays we use number labels for each string. My opinion is that
buying and stocking different colors of PV wire is not worth the hassle and
that good simple labeling makes up for it.

1000 V ungrounded systems are a different beast and the only viable option
I've found to date is to run 1000 V PV wire all the way from the array to
the inverters.

Best,

August

*August Goers*