[RE-wrenches] copper roof

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon Sep 16 17:22:44 PDT 2013

Nik,

It's hard to tell from the photos, but are you seeing the same issue under the bottom edges of the other rows of modules going up the roof slope? From the images it looks like this is happening only along the very bottom row.

Is there enough spacing between the rows to allow water to drop through, or does all of the water on the array drop off of the bottom row?

I'm not an expert in galvanic corrosion, but it's my understanding that aluminum corrodes when in contact with copper, not the other way around. The AL is the anode and the CU is the cathode in a galvanic reaction, so the copper shouldn't corrode.

My guess is that it has more to do with the simple erosion caused by the quantity of water that is falling off that bottom row of modules. It may be just wearing off the patina that the copper naturally gets with age. If this is so, I suppose that it could eventually wear through the copper.

But that is just a guess.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar