[RE-wrenches] Outback AC coupling Sunpower?

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 06:19:42 PDT 2013

Here is a paper on AC coupling the magnum.
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/inverter%20pdf%20folder/MagnumACcoupling.pdf

The key is to connect the AC input terminals on the Magnum to the main
panel (or a panel closer to the utility feed) and then feed the utility
interactive inverter to a subpanel that is connected to the AC output
terminals on the Magnum.  If the grid goes down, the internal relays
isolate the Magnum and the critical load panel from the grid and the Magnum
starts to make a sine wave.

You have to keep the critical load panel amperage below the pass through
rating on the internal relays, and the grid connected inverter needs to
have a lower output than the Magnum (I think by 10%).  Also, I'm not sure
if the diversion controller Magnum has been working on is out yet or not.

I've never done this, but I am about to.  Any wrenches have experience
doing an AC coupled magnum?

Mac Lewis

*

"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates