[RE-wrenches] Trojan L-16s

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Jul 22 17:15:19 PDT 2013

Larry and Tom,

Thanks for the information.  I will boost the
voltage and the charge hours for the array. The inverter is good as is.

The batteries charge quickly since they are not
generally cycled deeply. The cabin is only used
for three or four days a week, giving the
batteries plenty of time to be maintained.

Interestingly,  Tom's email never reached me
directly.  I read it through Jay's reply.

Drake

At 03:02 PM 7/22/2013, you wrote:
> [...]
>float mode. Blue Sky Energy does this which, in
>my book, makes it a great charge controller. If
>you know how much current any battery draws
>(they are all different and change with age)
>when it is completely full, then the charge
>controller can be programmed to stay in absorb
>until that parameter is met. It could be 1/2
>hour one day and 4 hours the next. Many things
>affect how batteries charge and this is the only
>true method I know of to accurately determine when it is full each day.
>
>For your situation, I would go with Trojans
>recommendation of 2 hours absorb at 29.6. If you
>see that this is not fully charging each day,
>you can try increasing the time or choosing a
>higher voltage. If you have the sun hours
>available, I would choose longer charge time.
>There are many areas in the States that simply
>do not have enough sun hours to completely
>charge the battery from PV solar alone. In this
>case, using higher absorb voltage may be a solution.
>
>Larry
>

>On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Drake
><drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org> wrote:
>
>Hi Larry,
>
>I will bump up the absorb voltage to 29.6 V. How
>long do you think the bank should stay in absorb
>at that rate?  The bank now seems healthy, with
>the bad battery replaced.  It does accept
>charge, without going high prematurely.  The max
>charge rate from the array is around C/10. The
>system can also be fast charged from a Honda
>6500 inverter generator through the Outback 3524 VFX.
>
>We have a Trimetric meter on the system. The
>discrepancy between the percent charge and the
>voltage is what demonstrated that we had a problem.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Drake
>

>At 09:30 PM 7/19/2013, you wrote:
> > Hi Drake,
> >
> > It always concerns me when I hear that a
> battery bank reaches absorb setting very
> quickly. It typically means one of two things:
> very few AH were removed from the bank; the
> battery bank has sulfated cells due to chronic
> undercharging. Far too often I find the latter to be true.
> >
> > Healthy batteries will accept current and
> hold the charge voltage down with a fairly
> linear, slow climb to absorption voltage.
> Sulfated batteries do not accept current well
> which allows voltage to climb rapidly as the
> battery presents little load on the charging
> system. I'm not sure how this plays into your
> original post about a bad cell but it seemed worth mentioning.
> >
> > My opinion is to aggressively charge, by
> using higher voltage, large flooded batteries.
> This is especially true when the PV system is
> moderate or undersized. 29.6 volts is what
> Trojan recommends. You can go as high as 32
> volts on the L-16's but make sure the
> temperature compensation is installed properly
> and working. You will use more water.
> >
> > One last comment, I highly recommend that ALL
> off grid systems have a battery capacity
> monitor installed. It's kind of like flying an
it might not end in disaster.