[RE-wrenches] DC LEDs

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Jun 8 10:28:04 PDT 2013

I've definitely found several AC only switches burned permanently into
the "ON" position, so its a real concern.  We use surplus switches
removed from old houses that are DC rated. I got a collection from
Habitat Restore.  They don't say AC only, and are very loud when
switched.  Pull chain lamps are usually DC rated, so that's a very
simple solution.  In line cord switches are DC rated, and I used to get
surface mount Barn type switches that were DC rated.
As others noted, LEDs have low enough current draw to not be as much of
a problem, but the old 50 watt incandescents pulled about 4 amps, and
definitely would burn AC switches.
I would never put my license and name on an install with such an obvious
code violation.  (equipment not listed for the purpose)

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician