[RE-wrenches] PV-direct electric water heating

frenergy frenergy at psln.com
Thu May 16 20:02:49 PDT 2013

Luke and others,

        Sorry if I've missed something in this conversation, I'm trying to
figure out how Legionnaires Disease is an issue with hot water heaters that
run below 140 F.  conventional water heaters come (in CA) factory set below
140 F., I assume (there I go again) for reasons of scalding safety and
energy conservation.

        And personally, I am very interested in PV water heating.  Yes, I
have your same gut reaction to using PV to heat, though I have judiciously
done this (and suggested it to others) in some certain instances.  With
water heating in particular I appreciate the advantages of PV to do the job
for reasons like: Simplicity, no glycol and no glycol maintenance, no leaks,
no heat exchanger, no pumps, no failing pumps, easier to deal with
prevention of overheating (depends on the SDHW type system employed), no air
locks/failed air vents.

        It seems like a shoe-in for connecting a PV supply to the lower
element of a 240vac conventional tank and have grid supplied power to the
top element to back-up the PV.  I suppose if you're grid connected, you
would just add 4-6-8 more PVs to the array and connect the WH like you
always would. I just did some quick math for 6 more 250 watt PVs, racking,
next size up inverter and you're just below the cost of a SDHW thermal
system.

        Yes, I understand this is only possible to talk about because of the
current PV prices but I feel it's worth pursuing.  The conversation is of
course somewhat different if we're talking off-grid with other heat sources
E.G.: propane, woodstove and no using the grid for excess production or
back-up.

Thanks for any more enlightenment on this.

Bill
Feather River Solar Electric