[RE-wrenches] PV-direct electric water heating

conrad geyser conradg at cape.com
Wed May 15 03:02:28 PDT 2013

Hilton and Allan,

If the system has an Outback or any other charge controller with a diversion
load setting, the diversion to water heating or ice making can be made to
happen at a fully charged setpoint only.   I have a system set up making ice
which does this nicely - it typically comes on by 11 AM (if the
load/collection ratio hasn't been to high) and actually cycles some later in
the day.  It never takes the 24 V bank below 27.1 V(continues to float) and
leaves the system with topped off batteries and a bunch of ice at the end of
any halfway decent day.  Saves lots of battery load.  Ice lasts for a week.
Works pissah.

Conrad

Cotuit Solar