[RE-wrenches] Wasps

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon May 6 16:21:17 PDT 2013

I'd be weary of using Dawn detergent on PV modules because it has petroleum distillates in it. That's why it's so effective at stripping oil off of bird feathers after an oil spill.

Safer brand insecticidal soap will kill wasps, and it's non-toxic and petroleum-free.

I deal with wasps nesting in my ground mount with just a high-pressure sprayer on a garden hose. I have to go out there a few times in the spring to knock down the nests, but the wasps eventually get the idea that they aren't wanted. Two years ago I had a nest of white-faced hornets build one of their marvelous cone-shaped nests on the back of the array, and it was pretty large by the time I saw it, so I left them alone. I like hornets because they kill and eat yellow jackets, and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unlike yellow jackets.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar