[RE-wrenches] unbalanced string voltages

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Mon Apr 29 13:57:51 PDT 2013

Allan:

I posted an example using Kirk's original quesiton but for some reason it has not showed up yet.
You are mostly right.

>>IF<< the MPP tracker works correctly it will pick the global MPP point.
Some MPP trackers get lost and fins a local MPP and you end up losing a bunch of energy.

In reality the global MPP will be between the upper and lower MPP's for each string.
As a first order approximation you can estimate where between by taking the ratio of the currents for each string.
For example: If the voltage difference between the strings is 11 Vdc and the current from the lower voltage string is 23% of the total current, then the MPP of the inverter will be closer to the higher voltage strings by the ratio of the current, i.e. 77% of the voltage difference.
77% * 11 V = 8.6 V so the MPP point of the total array should be about 8.6 V above the optimal point for the lower voltage string.
This of course will move the lower voltage string towards Voc and reduce it's current and power
It will also move the higher voltage strings toward Isc and decrease their voltage and power.
Since the shape of the power curve is not symmetric around the MPP there is a bigger negative impact by moving towards Voc than there is by moving towards Isc.
The result is that the true global MPP will probably be slightly closer to Isc than the 8.6 V in the example above.

You can iterate this calculation and calculate the power for the entire array from the IV curves for each string.
A couple of iterations should get you really close to where the array will be and let you estimate the reduction in energy yield compared to an optimal MPP on each string or module.

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)