[RE-wrenches] BZ Products Charge Controllers

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Apr 11 11:32:10 PDT 2013

Hi Mark,

I am a real stickler about terms and I hope to always further understanding about batteries so consider this: No charge controller "tapers" charge current. The reduction in current is due to the slowing of the electrochemical process as the battery is saturated. At constant voltage, you can provide any amount of amperage to the battery but it will only absorb what it can. This is a common misconception that I hear regularly.

Once the battery reaches equilibrium, that is, current into the battery equals the self discharge rate, then it is in float. The process to reach float stage is called absorption stage. So I suppose we could call the two stages Bulk and Absorb/Float.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems