[RE-wrenches] BZ Products Charge Controllers

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Apr 11 08:47:38 PDT 2013

Just for clarification, there is no "float" mode in BZ controllers, even though that is what they call it in the manual. There are two stages only, Bulk and Absorb. Once the voltage setpoint is reached, it remains constant. There is no 3rd stage where the voltage is lowered.

This means you must choose low charge set-point so you are not overcharging the battery too much after it is 100%. This also means slower charge rate so more PV power is necessary, compared to 3-stage chargers, to accomplish 100% charge. To the best of my knowledge, all battery manufacturers require 3-stage (IUoU), temperature compensated charging.

USA made and customer support is great but some products are not as reliable as I demand for my customers.

Thank you,

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems