[RE-wrenches] BZ Products Charge Controllers

Luke Christy sgsrenewables at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 21:53:34 PDT 2013

Nathan and Dan,

I have used the BZ Products controllers for several years with excellent results. They are my go-to solution for small 12 and 24V systems. I mostly use the MPPT500 and 500HV units because they come with a conduit-ready enclosure. The HV version works well with 2-60 cell modules in series. They are definitely a bare bones unit, and the enclosure could do with some better graphics so that it doesn't look so homemade, but they work well, and I like supporting a small US-based business.
Drawbacks are the lack of an EQ function and non-adjustable charge setpoints. (And the homemade look)
So far I have only had one unit fail, which seemed to be due to a bad component as it basically failed immediately after hooking it up. BZ replaced it under warranty.
I'd recommend them. It's a great way to use 60 cell modules for small systems and you can't beat the price for a MPPT unit.

-Luke Christy

Hello wrenches,

Anyone have any experience with BZ Products charge controllers? Kind of thin website (http://bzproducts.net/) but it seems like a pretty slick way to be able to use the ubiquitous 60 cell panels in small systems, if the controllers are quality.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nathan

Nathan J. Stumpff
NABCEP Certified PV Installer #091209-175
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer #032412-14
Project Manager | Arctic Sun, LLC

Nathan;
I was just about to ask exactly the same question here on the Wrenches
list. The BZ controllers seem to fill an amperage niche vs price point that
we need here for small  MPPT 12v - suresine systems deployable by
helicopter, canoe etc. We don't need UL listing for these systems.
I'd love to hear reports on these controllers from other Wrenches before I
buy any of them and haul them out into the bush.

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342

Luke Christy

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™: Certification #031409-25
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer™: Certification #ST032611-03
CoSEIA Certified PV Installer

Solar Gain Services, LLC
PO Box 531
Monte Vista, CO. 81144