[RE-wrenches] Flat Tile Roofs

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Apr 1 17:48:39 PDT 2013

Hi Mac,

We've tried lots of flat tile options. At the moment, I'm a little
undecided about what approach is the best. Pro Solar Tile Trac and regular
J-hooks such as the ones made by Unirac both work and have pros and cons at
Peter mentioned. Some tiles have grooves that allow minimal to no grinding
in area where the J-hook protrudes from the bottom of the tile.  My main
issue with the whole tile setup is that you are still making an unflashed
penetration where the lag is actually going through the roofing
underlayment. My understanding is that tiles are only the first barrier to
water entry and that the underlayment (such as felt paper) is the real
water barrier. Quick Mount has attempted to solve this with some of their
products:

http://www.quickmountpv.com/product-overview.html#tile

But, to really flash these Quickmount products properly you need to get the
lower flashing under the felt paper which is no easy task. The real sealing
method for the Tile Trac  and J-hooks is relying on the base footprint to
cover your penetrations and lots of sealant. I suppose as long as you don't
have too many missed holes and good sealant you shouldn't have problems. I
like Chem Link M-1. Be careful with Sikaflex as it is not compatible with
bituminous surfaces such as tar paper (or at least it wasn't the last I
checked a couple of years ago).

Good luck! -August

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Mac Lewis <maclewis1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello wrenches,
>
> I am looking for advice on specifying appropriate mounting for a flat
> concrete tile roof.    Its a flat, concrete tile roof.  I don't know how
> variable flat tile roofs can be.  Will any flat tile hooks work with all
> flat tile roofs?  Has anyone found a great solution for tile roof mounting?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>

> Mac Lewis
>
> *