[RE-wrenches] Remote Sunny boy Monitoring

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Fri Feb 22 15:02:09 PST 2013

I have used both 900 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz Wifi with mixed results through trees.
In the past we used Moxa wireless RS-485 bridges which were 900 Mhz devices.
The lower frequency tends to work better with obstructions but not sure about over the top of a hill.
Depends on how far over the hill you are.

Do you have access to the hill top ?
If yes, using a directional antennas and a passive repeater (back to back directional antennas) at the hill top to bend the signal.
If you go this way then you probably want to go with 2.4 Ghz since you will need multiple high gain antennas.
You will read much pros and con debate about if passive repeaters do or do not work.
With short path lengths, short coax trimmed for low VSWR and very high gain directional antennas it can.
I have done it successfully in the past and it worked better than the calculations would indicate.

There are multiple suppliers of directional 2.4 Ghz antennas.
Here is a link to a 24 dB antenna from a local CA retail electronics house.
http://www.frys.com/product/7411495;jsessionid=5vsRnGBpd1iiZqjr7HmfLg__.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)
T: 510.498.3200, X 747