[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island DC wire size

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Wed Feb 13 15:05:50 PST 2013

Alan:

In my experience, the worst case currents occur during battery charging following a deep discharge.
(You should see a generator exhaust pipe at night when charging hard - such a pretty shade of yellow/orange)

The SI has parameters you can set to limit the maximum charge rates which should solve your concern.

This is found in SI Parameter #222.01 under the Battery Settings menu
#222 Battery Charge Mode
No. __Name Description__Value Explanation ___Default value
01__ BatChrgCurMax__Charging current of the battery10 A ... 1200 A__1,200 A

I am not sure if this value is the sum of the SI currents or if this is actually the value the inverters read off the external current shunt needed for DC coupled systems.
I think the SI uses the current shunt value (if present) but I am not sure - Check with SMA Support to find out.
If it is the former then you would need to consider the Radian charge current and subtract that off your maximum allowed value then enter that "net" value into the SI's.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts the breaker in the SI was selected to match the short duration current versus time trip curves.
Since the SI can do very substantial surges (up to 12 kVA per inverter) the short duration tripping characteristics were key.
As I recall the breaker was actually 2 internally parallel AMS 125 (non-standard part from Eaton).
See curve 252 (DC 25x) data on page 8 of the following http://www.heinemann-electric.com/acrobat/ams-cata.pdf
Not sure what breaker is used in current SI production but the characteristics should be similar to the above.

In normal operation the maximum continuous current will be the inverter rating divided by minimum battery voltage.
I ASS U ME this is where the 125 Amp recommendation for a SI5000 comes from (5000W/40Vdc).
Never mind that pesky 1.25 * the continuous current NEC thingy.

If you are using an external OCPD be sure to use a L...O...N...G time delay type and compare the short duration trip characteristics of your OCPD to that of the SI's breaker.
If your OCPD will trip "sooner" than the SI's breaker you may see nuisance  tripping of your OCPD during high surge events.
There might be a parameter to limit the maximum discharge (surge) current but I could not find it in my admittedly quick skim of the SI manual.
If you do not foresee very high surge loads (motor starting) this will not be an issue.
48 kVA seems like one heck of a surge but, then again,  I have not seen the customer's home :)

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE09F2.47122470]

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)