[RE-wrenches] Accessibility of Equipment on Roof was Are PV Systems Mechanical Equipment?

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Fri Feb 8 08:33:43 PST 2013

Jason,

It seems to me that two of the exceptions in 240.24 may apply to your
situation. Most significantly (4) For overcurrent devices adjacent to
utilization equipment that they supply, access shall be permitted to be
by portable means. Thus using a latter to access the ac combiner on the
roof should be permitted. There should also be an accessible disconnect
elsewhere (at the panel feeding the combiner for instance.) That (may)
makes the breakers in the ac combiner supplementary and thus they
wouldn't have to be accessible.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
www.bluemountainsolar.com