[RE-wrenches] AHJ's & NABCEP cert.

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Feb 4 16:53:28 PST 2013

I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

But seriously, I'd put myself up against most NABCEP certified solar
installers when it comes to technical knowledge, design, safety,
troubleshooting, etc. I generally wouldn't put myself up against those
non-NABCEP folks with vastly more experience than me for the types of work
that I don't do regularly. That said, NABCEP professionals generally have
specific knowledge that *should* indicate some level of expertise.

However, licensing is a relatively broad thing compared to NABCEP
certification. Heck, my four year degree in FINANCE gave me three years off
the experience requirement to qualify for a solar license. Licensing
typically requires that you are either experienced enough or smart enough
to make it likely that you would not do something stupid, and to help
ensure that you will be adequately penalized if you do.

Neither certification nor licensing makes anyone qualified, necessarily. It
just makes it more likely in a broad sense. Based on the questions I get
from many licensed electrical contractors without solar experience, I'm
shocked that their license qualifies them to do solar work.

Just my opinion...

*Jason Szumlanski** *

*Fafco Solar
*