[RE-wrenches] Are PV Systems Mechanical Equipment

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Sun Feb 3 11:59:53 PST 2013

Jason,

There's a 2009 Broward County interpretation that you should be able to
use for some leverage:

See Page 23 (or search for "solar")-
http://www.broward.org/CodeAppeals/Documents/FIWebDoc.pdf

Obviously, it's difficult to move an 8000 pound chiller off a roof to
reroof beneath it, whereas PV would be easy but tedious. Clearly a
chiller should be elevated. I'd agree that PV should only be elevated if
they're requiring the same clearances under a lightning protection system.

Dave