[RE-wrenches] 24V Module Query

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Jan 24 13:07:57 PST 2013

I'm not sure that AC coupling would work with the old SW inverters.
Assuming they are stacked for 240V, I don't see why it couldn't work. I
would actually like to know because I have dual SW5548's on my farm in the
Caribbean and I am considering adding more PV. Adding PV on the DC side
would be a bit difficult in this case. Since most of the load there is
during the day, I would rather avoid the losses through the batteries and
just add PV on the AC side of the off-grid inverter.

I was making more of a general statement. AC coupling would offset the
impact from reducing the DC PV rating if you lose modules and have to
reconfigure strings. It might not be the cheapest solution, but it might
make the best long-term sense. Every situation is going to be different...

*Jason Szumlanski*

*Fafco Solar*