[RE-wrenches] off grid PV connected to generator

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Tue Jan 15 19:29:45 PST 2013

one of my biggest gripes about the outback fx series is only one ac input... this was a major step backwards from its trace sw series predecessor.
if someone is going to want battery back up on a grid tied system, they surely are going to want the ability to back that up with a generator. the radian series seems to have resolved this.

so yes, the fx can sync with a generator, but you need a transfer switch upstream from the single ac input as well as the nerdyness to be able to change the inverter's ac input selection from 'grid' to 'gen' in the mate. this will disable the inverter from trying to sell to the generator. unfortunately this does not relax the ac input requirements the inverter wants to see to enable selling... so your generator better be very clean (inverter generators are best).

there is also the 'dt kludge':
 send the 120 volt ac generator output to a 2:1 transformer (like a 120/240 step up/down). this takes the 120 vac down to around 60 vac -> full wave bridge rectifer -> circuit breaker -> mx 60 -> circuit breaker -> battery.
expensive, but a great solution imo.

todd

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:50pm, "SunHarvest" <eric at harvesthesun.com> said:

> Further, I recently installed a GVFX for a customer. I'm hearing from
> certain sources that the grid-tied line of inverters from Outback are not
> designed to interface with a generator. Really??
>
> I was told by Outback to install a transfer switch line/supply side of the
> inverter; that this was the only way to interface the genny with the
> inverter; that the AC Hot In could come from grid or a genset. And indeed,
> this is the only way I can figure out how to get the genny to charge the
> batteries when the grid goes down. But then again, I don't have the
> extensive electrical background that allows me to think outside the box as
> often as I would like...that's why I'm posing my query here for the pros. In
> this Outback install I have to again advise the homeowner to open the PV
> breaker to the inverter during generator operation, right? Even though he
> has a modest 600W (STC) array and an 8.5kW Kohler genset. Hardly the
> opportunity for solar to feed back to the genny under the most sunny and
> cool of days. I'm more concerned with the Enphase install.
>
> The Xantrex SW series inverters are fully capable of operating on-grid or
> off-grid with a genset. So do those inverters automatically disconnect the
> PV when the genny auto-starts? And with the Outback, is the Mate supposed to
> do the same (as long as the genny is operated by the auto-start and not a
> transfer switch)?
>
> Eric
> SunHarvest

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org