[RE-wrenches] cleaning battery caps

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Jan 10 14:09:12 PST 2013

(attachment shows new, used and cut open Water Miser cap)

Jay,

We sell quite a few of the Water Misers due to the number of mobile customers leaving their RV stored here in the desert for 6 months. They have been effective for reducing water loss. I have seen some real nasty ones but never has anyone suggest any problem with effectiveness.

The caps are simply a mechanical method of returning H2O to the cells. As long as you can hear the beads rattle, my guess is they will still work. Curiosity got the best of me so I cut open a used one that was no longer rattling. The beads look good but were sticky. If you have some that do not rattle, I would not hesitate to try cleaning them with some strong detergent and thoroughly rinsing.

One other thing to check is that the holes are not plugged and they are snapped down tight. Check the inner seal for debris.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems