[RE-wrenches] Remote monitoring for off-grid system

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:46:43 PST 2013

The best monitoring/control that I have used, by far, is the SMA Webbox.
 With port-forwarding enabled on the router you can log in and get real
time data, analyze any recorded parameter you like, and change most
parameters.  You can start the generator remotely, plot trends over time,
and create xy graphs of any parameters.  It also seems to be very robust.
 I think you can adjust how often it pushes data to the sunny portal, but
the default work well for most applications.  The SMA system is pricey but
very nice.

I am curious if anyone has used Magnum's MagWeb.  I am pitching it to some
customers, but haven't used it.

Another monitoring question I have for wrenches.  Does anyone have any
recommendations for a standalone, versatile data logging device, that I
could leave on sites with no internet connection, and get trends (battery
voltage, SOC, battery currents etc) over time?  I like to show people that
they are using more power than they think.

Thanks

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com> wrote:

>  First, Outback does have a solution: the Flexnet and Mate 3 stuff;
> Outback's stuff is  pricey though. They're also a mess to wire IMHO.
> Here's 2 others to consider: Pentametric from Bogart Engineering, and
> Midnite Solar.
> Midnite Solar's monitoring is free when you buy their controllers.  They
> already come with an Ethernet port too. (unlike Outback's)
> ALso, Midnite has the new Gizmo Jr. which is a single wire shunt monitor
> connection, and they should have full State of Charge monitoring capability
> soon for it on their monitoring website: mymidnite.com  (also free).
>
> The Pentametric  is my long time go to meter, and it has a full Ethernet
> setup, but they don't have a website like Mymidnite.com, so you have to
> access the Pentametric remotely through the local network.  That gets into
> static DNS addresses, etc.; all that IP stuff I'm not well versed at.
> I've successfully used both monitoring systems.
> Also, don't just look at daily production; for off grid, you need battery
> state of charge.
>
> R.Ray Walters
> CTO, Solarray, Inc
> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
> Licensed Master Electrician
> Solar Design Engineer303 505-8760
>
> On 12/5/2013 2:03 PM, Davis Terrell wrote:
>
>     Hi Wrenches,
>

> I am evaluating remote monitoring solutions for an off-grid project and
> wanted to get any feedback people were willing to share.  I see my three
> main choices as Outback, SMA Sunny Island, or an XW system, the first two
> of which I have a good bit of experience with.
>

> It looks like the only good remote options for Outback are 3rd party
> which I couldn’t get much info on, despite emails to the manufacturers.
> Anyone have any experience with GreenHouse Gas and Electric dataloggers?
>

> A Sunny Island with a Webbox and Sunny Portal seems the most
> straightforward, but doesn’t have real-time data.
>

> I stumbled upon the Connext Combox on the Schneider site and it looks like
> a great product, but I am a little wary.  What comments I did find out
> about it online weren’t very favorable.  And it looks like setting it up
> for remote access is not very straightforward.
>

> Thanks for any thoughts/experiences!
>

> Davis Terrell
>
> Project Manager
>
> Green Earth Energy
>
> davis at mckernongroup.com
>
> office: (802) 247-1200
>
> mobile: (802) 989-1661

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out participant bios:www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*