[RE-wrenches] Safely inducing arc fault and ground fault in a completed array

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 15:13:05 PST 2013

Carl,

#1:  Under the conditions described by Larry below .. if by some chance the resistor somehow completes a circuit, you'll have up to 10 milliamps flowing through a 40K resistor, and in that case .. up to 4 watts dissipated.  To be on the safe side, use a 10W rated resistor just in case there IS a completed circuit.  If the array voltage is 500Vdc, use a 50K resistor.  If it's 600V .. a 60K  ... and so forth.

Of greater importance is to ensure you use a resistor that's specified for the rated voltage.  Most people aren't aware that resistors have a voltage rating.  To be on the safe side, make sure the one you use for this task is rated for 2X the anticipated voltage you'll encounter.

#2:
Arc faults occur in a variety of forms.  Larry did a good job describing them below.  They can be manually created with varying degrees of difficulty.

One fault to try to create (and the easiest of the list) would be the series fault.  Separate a conductor (or connection) between two PV while the system is under load.  I recommend using a matched pair of PV connectors with conductors attached, insert them between two PV, and use the conductors themselves as your "break" point (as opposed to using the existing connectors already on the PV).  Separating PV connectors under load will damage the pins and render the connectors unusable if the metal melts (and it could).

Be careful!

Dan