[RE-wrenches] To stack or not to stack? Off-grid 240V

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Oct 30 11:19:08 PDT 2013

Hilton,

Magnum Energy also has a single 4400 VA model, the MS4448PAE, that operates 120/240 split phase. It can provide 8500 Watts for 5 seconds and 40 amps (line to line) for 100ms. This might start the 3HP motor load assuming it is 240 volt induction motor and not a capacitor start. Also assuming no other high loads are operating. See if you can find out (letter code on motor) or test for the LRA of the motor.

(Allan) Battery voltage dip is proportional to load/battery capacity. I install lots of Magnum product but I have not experienced voltage dip with large loads starting. Perhaps it was related to waveform and the CFL's. Magnum Energy products are designed and built in the uSA and have been the best and most reliable inverters that I have experienced so my vote is for Magnum.

Larry