[RE-wrenches] SHW - parallel tanks

Nathan Stumpff Nathan at arcticsun-llc.com
Tue Sep 24 16:55:24 PDT 2013

Kirk,

We install this standard on basically all of our two tank systems. Small circulator w/ check valve from domestic tank HOT to solar preheat tank COLD. The 'makeup' water for that line is the one already installed, preheat HOT to domestic COLD. It operates on a delta-T control on both tanks, so if the preheat tank is warmer than the domestic tank, it moves that hot water from preheat to domestic. Benefits are increased solar storage (domestic tank becomes usable storage,) cooler preheat tank temps (so better collector efficiencies,) and no backup running when there is low DHW usage and the domestic tank cools off before the preheat tank.

The controls we use (RESOL) have this function preprogrammed, but any controller with a spare delta-T relay could be used if you have sensors on both tanks.

Works like a champ on really simple systems, we have had to monkey around and do some multi-tiered controls on systems with several heat sources to keep it from running at inappropriate times.

I'd be happy to share some drawings off-list if you like.

Cheers,
-Nathan

--
Nathan J. Stumpff
NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional #091209-175