[RE-wrenches] PSX-240 wiring question

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Sep 7 13:17:50 PDT 2013

Allan:

I would not provide a means to disconnect a neutral.  In 120/240VAC split
phase power systems it is rarely appropriate to disconnect the neutral.

I would instead have the generator feed a small subpanel.  In that subpanel
I would have a 2 pole breaker feed the shop tool.  I would have another 2
pole breaker feed the X-240.  You need to make certain the direct hot feed
to the inverter is derived inside of the X-240.

I have been at odds with many of the wiring recommendations presented by
Outback.  The diagram you included is drawn poorly, leaving out some
important exterior details, making it easy to wire incorrectly.  The diagram
below (from the July, 2008 manual) is depicted better, but as published, the
wiring is still incorrect.  I have modified the drawing to indicate how it
should be wired.  The problem with the original wiring is that when you open
the breaker, it unloads only one phase of the generator.

One additional enhancement you could provide is you could easily interlock
the breakers in the gen-fed panel so only one breaker can be on at a time.
This is easily done with off-the-shelf interlocks from Square D or GE, or it
is easy to build an interlock from some scrap aluminum angle and a bandsaw.
We build many interlocks in the shop.  Sure, they are not "listed," but they
are a simple mechanical device that one can hold in one's hand, manipulate
and verify intuitively that they work.

William

PS:  I also disagree with Outback in using black for one phase and red for
the other.  In an Outback AC cabinet it is less important, in my view, to
keep track of which phase is which.  Much more important is to keep track of
input versus output wiring.  I use black for "hot sometimes" and red for
"hot all of the time."  This is not to minimize the importance to wire
correctly according to your stack plan.  The plan I suggested is just easier
for me.  I am interested in any comments on this idea.

Wm

Miller Solar

V/C 805-438-5600

Note above number is for all voice calls.

Lic 773985