[RE-wrenches] Relay for 48v Vent Fan

Rich Nicol rich at solartechvt.com
Thu Aug 8 16:49:11 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,

Does anyone have any advice about what to use for a relay to power a 48 volt
Zephyr battery vent fan using the 12 volt auxiliary output from the Midnite
Classic Charge controllers. The fan only draws 6 watts but my problem is the
48 volt side of the equation. A supplier has recommend  a double pole/double
throw relay rated for up to 30 amps at 24 volts wired in series. I'm curious
if anyone knows of a relay rated for 48volts (actually higher voltage since
the fan is signaled to come on when the battery reaches gassing voltage)
that would work in this application or if there is widespread agreement that
the 24volt rated relay would work fine since we are requiring only minimal
current and spreading between two contacts.

As always, your input is greatly valued!
Thanks,

Rich