[RE-wrenches] Security cameras for off grid home: Who has a low wattage solution?

Chris Daum chris at OasisMontana.com
Tue Aug 6 18:30:41 PDT 2013

Dear people:

I have a neighbor who's been vandalized twice to the tune of thousands of
dollars.  He is a nice guy who's only at his Montana home for 5 weeks out of
the year.  We have dumb kids in the neighborhood with too much time on their
hands.  I too am looking forward to all your ideas for remote monitoring in
a cost-effective manner.
Chris Daum
Oasis Montana Inc.
406-777-4309
406-777-0830 fax
www.oasismontana.com

  _____

From: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
[mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Jason
Szumlanski
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:04 PM
To: RE-wrenches
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Security cameras for off grid home: Who has a low
wattage solution?

This is not a full answer to  your question, but I wanted to point out that
live remote viewing is not a 24/7 need usually. I have set up a monitoring
solution where the router, wifi, modem shut down on a timer at night and a
DVR captures camera video from selected night cameras with IR. This can cut
the energy requirement dramatically. If you do not need to send video over
the Internet at times, this might be something to explore.

There are plenty of PCs that draw far less than 100W, but I'm guessing it
needs a PCI card for the camera input. That's a bummer. A laptop would be
ideal.

I am interested if anyone has any low power consumption ideas.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar