[RE-wrenches] double insulated wire

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jul 2 11:15:18 PDT 2013

Hi Dick;

What you're suggesting is actually something I thought would work too:
having totally odd colors that immediately said DC.
IT really would be the best, because if you go in with a meter set to
read AC, and show no voltage, then get your voltage sniffer out, and it
doesn't beep, you think you're double safe, when actually you could get
hit with 500 v dc.

I try and mark every J-box that has DC conductors in it with the DC
voltage.  The life I save probably will be my own, as I'm getting more
forgetful with age......

I think one of the problems is that this is actually not a NEW issue;
we are reviving the 100+ year old AC vs DC battle that Edison
Westinghouse, and Tesla, et al. fought before.  Factories have AC and DC
on site, and it just amazes me that marking polarity isn't required by
code.  We have to mark the bonded conductor, or the high leg in certain
3 phase systems, so identifying DC polarity seems just as important.
I actually really like your purple with a white stripe idea.  At one
time I tried to color code for DC voltage too, (Red for 12 v, purple for
24, Orange for 48 v) and even used yellow tape for my PV inputs as they
had a higher V than the battery.  Now I just try to label everything
copiously, and have polarity align with my meter.
My biggest problem is still old 12 v house wiring on Romex (white and
black)  or which side of those Monkey face outlets should be + or -
......  These days, I just try to switch the circuit over to AC   (go
Tesla!)

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,