[RE-wrenches] Full sized neutral - 240 V inverter

John Stimac john at renewableassociates.com
Wed Jun 19 12:37:54 PDT 2013

Doug,

705.95(B) allows you down size your neutral if it is used solely for
instrumentation and it must be sized equal to or larger than the EGC but
this is not the case. If Power One says a full size neutral is needed than
that means that it is not just a voltage sensing conductor used for
instrumentation and that it does carry current.

I don't believe there are any exceptions in code for downsizing your neutral
in regards to upsizing the conductors to account for voltage drop but I
could be wrong.

--

John Stimac | Corvallis, OR

Renewable Energy Associates LLC