[RE-wrenches] Battery Boxes

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 07:10:43 PDT 2013

Jesse;
I too have concerns about wooden battery boxes. Have seen a couple close
calls with fires from thermal runaway, and acid doesn't treat wood kindly.
But for a large bank, anything commercial is extremely expensive.

Our current solution is to caulk the wooden box, line with pink foam sheets
if insulation is needed, then line interior with Du-Rock (cement board) and
caulk. Don't forget mouse screens.

I was always told that battery box lids must be slanted so the hydrogen
accumulates at the top, but over the years have found the REAL reason -- it
keeps the homeowner from using the battery box as a table for storing junk!
LOL

For outdoor systems, I've seen some really nice battery boxes made from
steel jobsite tool boxes lined with foam and cement board, and some are
available with slanted lids.

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342