[RE-wrenches] Fuse sizing in battery circuits

Garrison Riegel garrison at solarserviceinc.com
Wed Apr 17 06:44:27 PDT 2013

Hi Ray,

Not saying he was right, but it was explained to me by an inspector that the
pipe electrode mentioned in 250.166(C) is different than a water main. The
justification being that 250.52(A)(1) lists requirements for a "metal
underground water pipe" electrode, while 250.52(A)(5) lists "pipe" electrode
separately.  I agree a water main fits the description of a pipe, but I
suppose it could depend on the mood of the inspector.  I've managed to avoid
it myself, but have heard horror stories of 4/0 GECs being required by
inspectors.

Good point about 250.53(D)(2) Supplemental Electrode Required.  Although it
does list a "pipe" again as a possible supplemental electrode to the water
main.

250.166(C) just seems a little unclear with respect to a water main
electrode.  I have seen a number of sites that do not have a supplemental
electrode in addition to the water main, but I suppose you could simply
install a rod, bond it to the water main, and use #6 copper for the DC GEC.

Thanks,

Garrison