[RE-wrenches] Fuse sizing in battery circuits

Garrison Riegel garrison at solarserviceinc.com
Tue Apr 16 12:06:35 PDT 2013

Hi Ray and All,

250.166 says the GEC must be sized as specified in (A) Not smaller than the
neutral conductor, or (B) Not smaller than the largest conductor supplied by
the system, except as permitted by (C) through (E).

A water main [as in 250.52(A)(1)] is not listed as an exception in (C)
through (E). So if the GE is a water main wouldn't the GEC "need" to be 4/0,
if the battery cables were 4/0?  Not saying it makes sense, especially if
the water main is 3/4", but this has always made me wonder.

Thoughts?

Garrison Riegel
Project Manager | Solar Service Inc
[p] 847-677-0950 | garrison at solarserviceinc.com

NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalT