[RE-wrenches] Fuse sizing in battery circuits

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Apr 15 13:47:34 PDT 2013

Hi August;

250.162(A) says "operating at greater than 50 v", which a 48 v nominal
system operates most of the time at over 50 v, at least when solar
charging and/or selling back.
We used to get dinged many years ago for using breakers rated at 50v dc
on 48 v systems.  John Wiles used to insist we use the highest possible
voltage (Voc of modules on coldest day)
Personally I prefer ungrounded systems, so I'm not saying there's
anything wrong from a safety stand point, just that inspectors here
don't see it the same way.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,