[RE-wrenches] Fuse sizing in battery circuits

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Apr 10 05:52:05 PDT 2013

boB,

SMA does recommend protecting Sunny Islands with
a fuse on the battery, even though the breakers
on the units are rated for 10,000 Amps.  Are
the  SI breakers inferior others you have mentioned?

Thanks,

Drake

At 12:14 AM 4/10/2013, you wrote:

>After 100's of thousands of  inverters having
>been shipped in the last many years
>and thousands of inverters broken and shorting
>the battery terminals, there has
>never been (to our knowledge) one breaker that has not tripped.
>
>The Midnite site lists the AIC rating of all our breakers I believe.
>
>The Carling F series of Magnetic-Hydraulic breakers poop sheet is here...
>
><http://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/F-Series_Details_%26_COS_0.pdf>http://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/F-Series_Details_%26_COS_0.pdf
>
>I guess there isn't a graph of AIC vs. voltage
>on their F series web page but we remember
>them showing us figures or a graph that says
>those breakers have an AIC of more than
>100,000 amps at 48 volts.  We'll try to find
>that info or you may be able to get that
>from Carling.
>
>I have, many times, directly connected these
>breakers across good L-16 battery strings
>to demonstrate the left-hand rule to people
>where the 4/0 cable jumps apart or towards each
>other when very high current passes through
>those wires when they are near each other.
>
>It always trips.  Never tried it at anything above a 48V battery banks IIRC.
>
>Robin would like to mention that anyone that
>wants to use T-Classc fuses.... Welcome back to the 1990's
>
>boB
>

>On 4/9/2013 1:23 PM, Ray Walters wrote:
>>Hey Bob;
>>
>>Can you share that AIC vs Voltage chart?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>R.Ray Walters
>>CTO, Solarray, Inc
>>Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
>>Licensed Master Electrician
>>Solar Design Engineer
>>303 505-8760On 4/9/2013 1:46 PM, boB wrote:
>>>
>>>Those 250 amp and 175 amp breakers we have used for many many years now
>>>have an AIC of 50,000 amps at 125 volts and if
>>>you look at the curve, at 48 volts
>>>they are around 100,000 amps.  I think that this information is on the label
>>>of the breaker.
>>>
>>>How many problems have you had with the Carlings or any other type of
>>>those large breakers ?
>>>
>>>boB

the meter read

during each test the 4/0 cable lifted off
but still allowed a peak current of 2960 amps
1920 amps peak current”