[RE-wrenches] Cable tray

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Mar 26 21:48:36 PDT 2013

Bill:

I have to disagree with you on this one.  We can not abandoned a tried and
true practice just because some practitioners don't do it right.  I don't
know how one can justify saying that encapsulating high voltage conductors
in a conduit is less safe than exposed in a flimsy basket.  Consider snow
and ice and falling objects.

Too many installers entered the PV field without first acquiring the
necessary skills as journeymen or women electricians.  I don't see the
benefit of rewriting the code to accommodate a lack of skills in the industry.

Respectfully,

William Miller

PS:  The temperature adders always encourage us to enter the building
envelope at the first appropriate location to avoid adding
them.  Thoughtful installers will do the same.

Wm

At 10:15 PM 3/25/2013, you wrote:

>William,
>
>I would strongly disagree that conduit is tried and true on rooftops. I
>have rarely seen good conduit runs on rooftops. Most electricians have no
>clue how to work with expansion joints. Conduit on rooftops is a bad idea
>in general. Most conduit runs in big buildings are all done indoors for
>good reason. We are the crazy people doing things on the roof.
>
>The sooner we get away from conduit­particularly for long feeder runs­the
>better.
>
>In Europe they don’t have problems with their rooftop wiring systems
>because everything is in tray.
>
>For those that don’t allow cable tray for anything less than 1/0, just
>remember that if it isn’t called cable tray, then 392 doesn’t apply. The
>NEC would allow us to use treated lumber in place of cable tray. This
>makes no sense.
>
>We did some research on the origin of the 1/0 requirement, and it is
>ancient and no longer relevant. Just because it is in the code, does not
>mean it is correct. That’s why we try to fix it every three years.
>
>Bill.

Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com