[RE-wrenches] AC Coupled Magnum Issue

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Mar 8 06:39:40 PST 2013

Thank you to all who responded to this post.

Larry, that sounds like a great potential solution. That will put the
frequency shift in line with where the battery cutoff voltage needs
to be. The frequency shift happens 2 volts above the absorption
charge set point. My only issue with the solution is the 1 1/2 hour
round trip to the site (it could be worse).  Maybe Concorde can give
me information that will allow me to set up the charge parameters
without having to tweak.

Allan, dump loads are a great way to go, for sure. The tech I spoke
to at Magnum recommended the relay as a fail safe for the frequency
shift.  When the issue of the inverter frequency shifting at 2 volts
above the absorption charge set point came up, the relay became the
primary protective device for the AGM batteries.

We didn't use diversion loads since this is a backup system, and will
probably only operate a few days per year.  The inverter should
maintain the batteries rather than the solar. We used the Morningstar
relay driver, in part, to allow dump loads to be added if desired.

Another solution was offered by APRS World, LLC.  They likely can
build products that would trigger relays using the temperature
compensated data from the Magnum Network.

It would sure simplify life it Magnum could add an axillary
relay.  Would that require putting the inverter, or entire line of
inverters, back into UL for re-approval?

Drake