[RE-wrenches] Seaward Solarlink

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 14:03:00 PST 2013

Kirk

Good to check out, it is a fair amount of money, but being able to safely
do Isc on a full series string, megging, grounding continuity and DC power,
it is a handy tool to have.
I have been using one for over a year now and have been very happy with
it.  It is relatively quick to use once you get used to it and gives me a
lot of confidence in the final install knowing that the ground continuity
is sound, strings are in good shape ( no bad modules or connections ) and
the array has been safely meg tested ( shorted leads vs , - to Ground and +
to ground).  Make sure you get the PV150 with extra memory and RF
capability with the 200R irradiance and cell temp meter.  Clamp on meter is
good to, with the PV T leads attached will calculate DC power into
Inverter.

I actually like their single phase Solar Power meter too , since it will do
kW AC, makes short work of doing Inverter performance validation.  It also
does PF , Harmonics and will detect phase order for a 3 phase motor.
Pretty nice, seems most power meters are in the $6k range and start at 3
phase, so for $500 bucks I think it is a good value.

Keep in mind that the Seaward is designed for European installs where they
usually have MC4 connectors at each inverter location, so the PV connectors
supplied are MC4 and Sunclips.  I have adapted the sunclips to Banana stlye
connectors so I can use standard off the shelf 20 amp 1000 VDC test leads
and banana clip extensions.  Easy to also use MC4 adapters to any other
standard connectors.  I wish we used MC4's to the inverters, it would speed
up commissioning alot!  Sometimes it is a challenge to adapt combiners or
inverter disconnects to make a spot to use as a test lead when there is no
where to clamp on.  Hopefully as commissioning of larger installs becomes
commoner we will see those manufacturers making a test spot more accessible!

Also beware that the Megger only really works for PV Strings and if you
need to meg wire or motors you will need a standard $500 Megger, I like the
Fluke 1587 because it has other common meter funtions.  Frankly I do not
like megging a PV string using a megger, to me the Seaward is a lot faster
and gives me more useful information all at once ( Voc Isc, Insulation
resistance, irradiance, Cell temp).

I also do training in commissioning testing through Solar Energy
International ( PV351lab)  that allows you to use all the advanced tools
available for commissioning and troubleshooting on live systems in their
lab yard.  Well worth it to get a chance to play with the tools before you
put hard cash down on it.  I also consult independently to train
installation crews in the operation of the Seaward, so you can contact me
off list if you wish to discuss that.

I would not do a larger commercial or utility scale project without the
PV150 as a minimum commissioning tool.  Curve tracing Thermal cameras are
overkill unless you have module failures to track down or Bankability
commissioning requirements for them.  Often they are much more dependent on
conditions than the preliminary Seaward tests.

Highly recommend Seaward as a company and their tool, Great support and
product! Hukseflux recently released a similar tool that just came out for
a little less, but I have not had a chance to evaluate it yet or have I
heard from anyone using it yet.

Good Luck

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Kirk Herander <kirk at vtsolar.com> wrote:

> Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> Can anyone provide user feedback on the Seaward PV test/commissioning
> equipment? I’m thinking of making the $2K investment in their Solarlink
> kit. Thanks.****
>
> ** **
>
> Kirk Herander****
>
> VT Solar, LLC****