[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island DC wire size

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Mon Feb 4 12:29:59 PST 2013

Ryan:

Not sure what is in the manual now but...
The lugs in the SI 5048U are dual 2/0.

We had to use parallel AWG #1 because we kind of painted ourselves into a corner.
The breaker in the SI ended up being 250 Amps, the conduit fitting was only 1.5" and the wire bending space was too small for a 3/0.
The only way to get enough Ampacity in a 1.5" conduit and that wire bending space was to go with dual #1's.

The 250 Amp breaker was used just to get enough current for the very short duration surges without tripping the breaker (12kW per SI).
If not for this a 200 A breaker would have been fine.

Note that the actual full power ampacity required for normal operation is 5kW @ 40 Vdc = 125 Amps continuous.
It is the high surge loads that require more current.
I run mine with a single 2/0 and we have never even come close to hitting full power.
Worst case current is typically while charging not when inverting and I set the current limit so that I do not exceed ampacity of 2/0.
In my experience it takes >= 14kW generator to drive a pair of SI's to full power while charging

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)
T: 510.498.3200, X 747